Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Interesting fact: Florent Sinama-Pongolle is now at Recreativo de Huelva, Spain. Cool huh?.........Guess not.

Nineteen today! Actually it was yesterday. But I am nineteen today. I will be nineteen tomorrow, and will be for the subsequent 362 days afterward.

Ever noticed how unremarkable the nineteenth birthday is? I mean, how many people actually remember their nineteenth birthday, unless of course it was marked by a really remarkable and anomalous incident, like a meteorite crashing through the roof and obliterating the stripper halfway through her routine? I'd guess not very many. Maybe it's been dulled by the altogether more riveting eighteenth birthday, or maybe the joy's clouded by the expectation of the twentieth. I don't know. But somehow I decided I wasn't going to allow this birthday to step out of the pattern. Somehow I contrived to wish for the most unexciting, mundane and unremarkable nineteenth birthday ever, and truth be told I came this close to actually getting it.

Too bad my housemates weren't going to allow it. Having contrived to sleep through two-thirds of the day, it didn't seem too difficult to have a plain ordinary day. I did get a couple of well-wishes from meaningful friends, but other than that little deviated form the normal. Come 8pm I actually thought I was going to pull it off. Who knew my housemates would pull together the most pleasant little cake-cutting-and-card combo? As it turned out, it wasn't bad at all. The cake was delicious, the card was humorous and the people were exactly who I wanted to be with come this special day, and none others. In short, this was the perfect birthday for me. Maybe I did sound like I was just a dark-hearted spiteful old killjoy. But you knew I was kidding didn't you?=)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home